Meditation Depth Index (MEDI) Piron, H. (2001).
The Meditation Depth Index (MEDI) and the Meditation Depth Questionnaire (MEDEQ)
Please allocate to each described item a depth value between 0 and 4, after you have got a
general view of the total spectrum of experiences reflected on this list. The following key is
meant as a support for orientation: 0 = very flat 1 = flat 2 = medium deep 3 = deep 4 = very deep
1. I found it difficult to relax.
2. I experienced equanimity and inner peace.
3. I got intuitive insights or understandings about my life.
4. There was a constantly change of thoughts in my mind.
5. I became aware of a center inside myself.
6. I felt myself at one with everything.
7. There was no subject and no object anymore.
8. I became more and more calm and patient.
9. I was very busy in order to use the recommended method properly.
10. I experienced some control over my mind; I could observe my thoughts from a distance.
11. My mind was alert and clear.
12. Mainly I was more in a state of dozing or sleeping.
13. I felt bored.
14. I sensed a field of energy around me.
15. I felt love, surrender, connection.
16. Thoughts had come completely to rest.
17. I felt well.
18. I was glad that the meditation had finished.
19. The feeling of time disappeared.
20. I sensed my breathing comfortably calm and fluent.
21. Sometimes I sensed my body as very light.
22. I experienced boundless joy.
23. My mind/consciousness expanded to an infinite space.
24. I felt being accepted unconditionally.
25. There was no differentiation, comparison or judgement anymore. Everything could be as it was.
26. My mind, the field of consciousness and awareness was empty from thoughts, emotions and sensations.
27. I experienced humility, grace, gratitude.
28. There was no meaning of any meditation techniques anymore.
29. I felt a strong energy or power within myself.
30. I sensed myself as formless energy.
1. Hindrances: 1, 4, 9, 12, 13, 18
2. Relaxation: 8, 17, 20
3. Personal Self: 2, 3, 5, 10, 14, 21, 29
4. Transpersonal Qualities: 11, 15, 19, 22, 24, 27, 28, 30
5. Transpersonal Self: 6, 7, 16, 23, 25, 26