Daily Spiritual Experience Scale (Underwood, Teresi 2002)
To use the Daily Spiritual Experience Scale found in this article, please contact Lynn Underwood (lynnunderwood [at]researchintegration.org) for registration and permission.
“The list that follows includes items you may or may not experience. Please consider how often you directly have this experience, and try to disregard whether you feel you should or should not have these experiences. A number of items use the word ‘God.’ If this word is not a comfortable one for you, please substitute another word which calls to mind the divine or holy for you.”
1 – Many times a day 2 – Everyday 3 – Most days 4 – Some days 5 – Once in a while 6 – Never or almost never
- I feel God’s presence.
- I experience a connection to all of life.
- During worship, or at other times when connecting with God, I feel joy which lifts me out of my daily concerns.
- I find strength in my religion or spirituality.
- I find comfort in my religion or spirituality.
- I feel deep inner peace or harmony.
- I ask for God’s help in the midst of daily activities.
- I feel guided by God in the midst of daily activities.
- I feel God’s love for me, directly.
- I feel God’s love for me, through others.
- I am spiritually touched by the beauty of creation.
- I feel thankful for my blessings.
- I feel a selfless caring for others.
- I accept others even when they do things I think are wrong.
- I desire to be closer to God or in union with the divine.
- In general, how close do you feel to God?(1 – Not at all, 2 – Somewhat close, 3 – Very close, 4 – As close as possible)
’ – reverse 4 Likert scored!